At Rangi we recognise that highly able students have particular needs. We provide additional learning opportunities, challenges, mentoring and support for those students who have the potential for exceptional levels of performance. These services are provided across the school through relevant teaching and learning strategies in the classroom and with dedicated support from the High Performance Learning Coordinator.
We provide the following support:
- Identify Learning Needs
- Students are ability grouped. This allows students to learn at a level and pace appropriate to their needs
- The school has provision for year level acceleration or students can multi-level if they have strength in a particular subject(s)
- Students can undertake study via correspondence
- Philosophy is taught through Te Ara
- Enrichment opportunities including workshops, lectures, competitions and field trips are provided through the HPL Coordinator
- Mentoring & Support. The HPL Coordinator acts as an advocate and is a point of contact for students and their families throughout their time at Rangi Ruru.
The HPL Coordinator monitors girls’ progress by:
- Working with parents
- Managing her Personal Development Plan (PDP)
- Liaises with teaching staff and Deans
- Providing mentoring and pastoral care
- Organising and facilitating special events such as Brain Busters, Model United Nations and Actura/Nasa events, New York Academy of Sciences opportunities.
- Organising and facilitating clubs including Chess Club, Philosophy Club, Creative Writing Club and Future Problem Solving.